Action for Development (ACFODE) is an indigenous, voluntary, non-governmental women’s organization that was formed on November 19, 1985. Its formulation was sparked off by the United Nations third World Conference on women held in Nairobi in July 1985. With a few women realizing the need for an organized forum that would provide a platform for effective debate and action on issues related to the advancement of women in Uganda, ACFODE was formed.
Since inception 28 years ago, ACFODE has been an effective platform of debate and action on issues related to the women’s empowerment in Uganda. This has been done through consolidated advocacy for policy formulation, research, capacity building, coalition building, mobilization and sensitization as her core strategies geared towards enhancing the capacity of Ugandans to champion the women’s cause and gender equality on the national agenda.
Vision: A just society where gender equality is a reality
Mission: To empower women and influence legislation and policy for gender equality in Uganda
Core purpose: Advocacy for gender equality and equity
ACFODE’s values: Integrity, Commitment, Learning, Volunteerism, Respect, Teamwork
- To influence the formulation / review of policy and legislation that effectively promotes gender equality.
- To contribute to effective implementation of gender responsive laws and policies.
- To contribute to the reduction of socio-cultural practices that cause gender inequalities.
- To enhance the capacity of ACFODE for efficient and effective implementation of her mandate.
- To increase women’s effective involvement in politics and decision-making through building the leadership capacity of potential female leaders at all levels.
- To promote good governance and democracy at national, district and local council levels through democracy monitoring and civic education.
- To defend and protect women’s rights through elimination of gender based violence and any form of discrimination against women.
- To promote formulation and implementation of gender responsive political, economic and social policies as well as programs.
- To build and strengthen the capacity of ACFODE and other like-minded civil society organizations for effective implementation of programs intended to benefit the vulnerable women.
- Central Region: Kiboga and Mubende Districts
- Karamoja Region: Kaabong, Kotido and Moroto Districts
- Westnile: Nebbi and Yumbe Districts
- Northern Region (Acholi Sub-Region): Pader District
- Lango Sub-Region: Apac, Dokolo, Kole and Oyam Districts
- Eastern Region: Namutumba district
- South-West: Kanungu and Kisoro districts
- Advocacy for legislation and policy formulation, and implementation for gender equality in Uganda
- Prevention of sexualized and gender based violence against women and girls
- Advocacy for women’s effective participation in politics and decision making
- Advocacy for good governance and gender accountability at local and national levels
- Institutional strengthening of ACFODE and other like-minded organizations