Eirene Funded Project
Promoting Positive Socio-Cultural Practices in Rural Communities
Project Brochure: Download
Under one of the organization’s strategic objectives on contributing to the reduction of socio-cultural practices that cause gender inequalities, Action for Development (ACFODE) in partnership with EIRENE – International Christian Service for Peace and with support from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development is implementing a project titled: Promoting Positive Socio-Cultural Practices in Rural Communities in Kisoro District.
33 months (October 2015 – June 2018)
AREA OF OPERATION
The project is being implemented in Kisoro District, in the Sub-Counties of: Busanza, Kirundo, Nyakabande and Nyarusiza.
The project aims to empower local communities to exercise and promote gender-responsive socio-cultural practices.
- Recognition of harmful socio-cultural practices as a violation of women’s and girls’ rights by relevant social actors, rights holders and duty bearers
- Increased number of women and girls actively participating in community activities and local decision making processes
- A critical mass of boys and men reached with information and models of gender responsive socio cultural practice
- Increased number of formal and informal institutions establishing mechanisms and championing gender responsive socio-cultural practices
- Adaptation of positive sociocultural practices by community members, including positive
- Assessment to verify harmful and positive socio-cultural practices in the target Sub-Counties and Validation Meeting on the findings
- Launch of the project at the District level
- Dialogues with social actors (cultural and religious leaders and teachers) to share information and generate commitment on promotion of positive and elimination of harmful sociocultural practices
- Advocacy Initiatives and Media engagements including quarterly Radio talk shows and national level conference
- Capacity building and mentoring of model couples to equip them as role models for positive socio-cultural behavior in their communities.
- Production of Behavior Change Communication materials such as posters, stickers and t-shirts
- Annual Partner Meetings at District level and Sub-County level and Review Meetings with stakeholders and target groups to facilitate experience sharing and learning and ensure the development and enforcement of mechanisms that address harmful socio-cultural practices and to follow up on commitments made
PROJECT BENEFICIARIES/TARGET GROUPS
- Rights holders (women and girls, men and boys)
- District and Sub County leaders (Technical and Politicians)
- Duty bearers such as the Police and the Judiciary
- Social actors such as religious and cultural leaders as well as teachers)
- Selected community-based, faith based and civil society organizations at community and national level