Project title: Empowering citizens and strengthening Local Councils to promote violence free communities in Apac district.
Project duration: 12 months
Short project summary:
The project addresses the high prevalence of domestic and sexual gender based violence in Apac District, Lango Sub region by increasing knowledge and awareness on the Domestic Violence Act (DVA) among chairpersons of local councils I and by strengthening the capacity of community facilitators in Akororo and Ibuje Sub Counties in Apac District.
- To strengthen the 150 Local Council I (LC I) of Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties (as key referral points at village level who are currently overwhelmed and poorly informed about their role in addressing domestic violence) through increase of their knowledge on DV and SGBV, and the legal framework for SGBV, e.g. DVA.
- To continue supporting a community led advocacy program involving 60 social actors who were trained to serve as Community Agents of Change (CAC) by ACFODE in 2011.
The project aims at establishing a culture of non violent relationships between men, women, boys and girls within Apac district. Its objective is “domestic violence free families and communities in Apac district.”
- Local councillors have knowledge on DVA, concepts of SGBV and DV, and their role in handling SGBV cases.
- Social actors have knowledge on DVA and concepts of gender and SGBV.
- Social actors are equipped with basic skills in counselling, communication and non-violent conflict resolution methods.
- To strengthen the capacity of councillors at LC I level;
- Conducting a total number of five (5) one day training in Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties for 150 chairpersons LCI (of which 6 are women) on SGBV and DV, and the DVA.
- Holding a total number of five (5) half day follow up meetings in Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties with LC I chairpersons. Through sharing of experience the chairpersons shall identify good practices, develop strategies to address challenges and increase their knowledge.
2. To strengthen the capacity of social actors;
- Holding a total number of two (2) induction meetings in Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties with (formerly) trained social actors (of which 25 will be women) to establish their knowledge, good practices and challenges on the project subject and to refresh their knowledge on SGBV.
- Conducting a total number of two (2) two day workshops in Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties for the social actors with focus on communication, counselling skills and non-violent conflict resolution methods.
3. For documentation of cases by trained social actors and LC I;
- Developing and disseminating a bi-lingual (Langi and English) case management form books.
4. To support the work of trained social actors and LC I chairpersons;
- Producing a DV handbook. It shall include a simplified version of the DVA using the local language (Langi) and a guideline for handling SGBV cases at household level.
- Equipping trained social actors and LC I chairpersons with Behavioural Change Communication materials, such as posters for community led advocacy work.
- Chairpersons LC I of Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties
- Women and men that were trained as CAC
- LC I Councillors
- Families (women and men, girls and boys) in Akokoro and Ibuje sub counties.
– See more at: http://acfode.org/?dict_project=meidiac-moniala-project#sthash.HlTdItyZ.dpuf